Friday, November 03, 2006

Before November Crown

It's the day before, and I still have no idea who half the field is. More people are keeping their plans to themselves than ever before, either that or I am so far out of the loop that I really need to reassess my personal hygiene standards.

I know that there are a few people from the Melbourne groups heading down, and some from Ynys Fawr fighting, but I don't think that any of that lot have had enough top-end practice to take it out.

I have heard rumours of Asbjorn and Inigo, which would be very exciting, but I've heard those rumours before. I think that Asbjorn may have it somewhat over Inigo if they are both there simply because the former has more high-end fighters to go up against regularly, and over the last five years that has seemed to be the decisive factor in top-end Lochac tourneys. I would love to see a Kiwi King, but I'll wait to see them at the event before I get excited.

So far, the probable top end seems to be Blayney, possibly Alfar, and J. Now J will not be winning unless there is a monumental screw-up on the part of all other participants in which case Lochac will finally see what a minimalist reign actually looks like. Also, he's in a very good mood, so the likelihood of him concentrating all the way through the tournament is negligible.

Is Alfar fighting? Goddess only knows. Half the rumour mill says definitely yes, the other half says definitely no. I could ask him, but where's the fun in that?

Which brings us to Blayney. I want him to win, dammit. Actually, I wanted him to win last November Crown, too, and we all know how that turned out (memo to self: "I can't believe you won that!" is not the most supportive of consortly statements. But my apprentice was rolling her eyes at me. And rightly so.)

But he's young, he's committed, he's been training hard and teaching harder, he's put in all the yards he needs to put in and he's a damn nice guy. Plus, his consort is fabulous. And the fact that if Blayney does win it will send a cheerfully energetic two-fingered salute in some specific directions shouldn't be ignored, either.

So it's on record that he's my pick. But no pressure. Because anything can happen in a Crown Tournament, including being drawn against the two best fighters in the first two rounds. J has been known to fight like a god in the early rounds and then be distracted by pretty birds in the semis, conversely, he has fought in a rather pedestrian fashion through the beginning of a Crown list, unable to get into the swing of it, and then suddenly turned into a fighting machine. So if Blayeney is put out by Alfar and Asbjorn, I will merely regret the fact that the list fairy is a bitch sometimes. And if he's put out by Miles, I will assume that Miles is having a dose of Crown magic where everything comes together for some fighters on the day (I am very fond of Miles, but he's not had enough prac time in the last six months for me to be looking at him on the same page as Mr B, although I could be wrong as Gui is a cunning teacher and Miles is a smart man.) So B, whatever happens, we're on your side and it's not just because Art will hit us if we're not. Yup, we both have our fingers crossed for Blayney.

Although if it comes down to the final and J is there against him, let me just say that there will be some harsh words if Mr B doesn't take it out. And they will not be coming from me.

And for anyone asking (which is very reasonable) why we're entering if we don't particularly want to win, it's for two reasons. Firstly, J and I initiated the poll that saw Lochac become a Kingdom and as part of that we felt a sense of responsibility for the whole thing which saw us agree that we would fight in every Crown we could. Secondly, and more importantly, the first Crown that J won was against a good field of midrankers, but no Chiv. And when he came back there were some delightful people who said "I should have entered, I could have won that one."

So he makes sure that in every list possible the victor can now say, "And I had to get past Duke J …" (previously Sir J).

That's because he's a man who takes people being crap and makes it into something positive. I am the mean one because whenever I heard people say "I should have entered …" I replied "Yes, then he could have beaten you, too." At least I'm not a totally unsupportive consort!

Normal service will be resumed next week when I start having a life again. I wouldn't mind working so much if anyone paid me ... the evil side of freelancing ...

13 Comments:

Blogger marienna said...

not just a rumour. Asbjorn is fighting...

/Marienna

8:15 am  
Blogger Eric TF Bat said...

I just hope we get someone new this time. As much as I love nearly all our past knigs and qeunes (especially you and your Bamberesque boyo!), it would be nice to see some variety. My feeling is: we convinced the Known World back in 2000ish that we're well and truly ready to be a knigdom, and part of that is the ability to field a reasonable and respectable crown tourney lists. But if the crown tourney lists is really just four or five spectacular fighters and a bunch of mediocre -- sorry, "mid-level" -- tentpegs, then it's not respectable, is it? You have to ask, in that case: why is Oertha still only a principality?

So I'm with you: go Blaeney! Or Asbjorn! Or Inigo! Or... anyone, really!

11:36 am  
Blogger Aminah said...

after having a lovely talk with him at Spring war around the fyre - its Mr B for me

5:38 pm  
Blogger Hanbal said...

So - who won? Our regular local lists aren't carrying the information as quickly as they normally would.

10:44 pm  
Blogger Eric TF Bat said...

Alfar. Meh.

I like him. He's a boofhead, but he's a loveable boofhead. But out of the ten Crown Tourneys we've had in the kingdom so far, how many have been won by people who've never ruled before, either as king or prince? Two. That's all. And of those two, one had been a landed baron. So: experience is good, and we've done well for it, but if variety is the spice of life then we're on an all-Weetbix diet.

9:26 am  
Blogger marienna said...

I'll see your "I can't believe you won that" - and raise with "you're shitting me!" when informed that Asbjorn was going into the final. Very regal. I guess I'll have to work on that before next Crown...

I'd have liked Blaeney too. But it will happen. And a knighthood! Whoop. Better news could not have been had from the event.

/Marienna

9:35 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yay for Mr B getting offered his Knighthood.

I am happy that Alfa won, but would have liked Blaeney to as well...

Now if I can ever win the friggin thing :(

4:13 pm  
Blogger The Retro Seamstress said...

It was rather amusing the look on Asbjorn's face when Yolande wandered up and said "Now it probably hasn't escaped your attention that you will be fighting in the final" and the response was "Each fight is just another fight", then realisation dawned and there was "can someone please call my lady and let her know...so she can be as stressed as I am." He is a lovely man, though I believe his quest for beautiful women may make it into a black label folia someday soon (warning: always be careful what you say around a certain duchess with a habit of writing amusing things down)

It was a great tourney and damn fine list. Mr B was not quite in peak performance (despite the expectations and wishes of what appeared to be a sizeable portion of the populace), but going out to Alfar and Hugh isn't anything to be ashamed of. On the upside, there will be vigil and knighting at Festival next year to look forward to.

6:39 pm  
Blogger Miss D said...

Bamberesque? Oh his head is now unable to fit through doorways. Cheers.

I'll be writing the event up in the next day or so, but very briefly, Marienna and Art should be very, very proud of their consorts. And M, he was beautifully well behaved despite drinking enough to tell everyone how pretty they were - he took himself off to bed once he reached Blayney ...

11:56 pm  
Blogger ~Isíbéal said...

I dunno, Sir Phil, you might find it easier to win if, I dunno, you're actually there ;) hehe

And I must agree, Art and Marienna should both be very proud girlies :)

12:42 am  
Blogger marienna said...

I am very, very proud. For a first outing, he did very well. I am really looking forward to reading your account of proceedings, and I have to say thank you to you Miss D for standing in for me - you make a great stunt double!

6:21 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ouch... That's a fair call.
I will be attending May.
My consort was not ready for the crown and I was in bed sick for the last week.

11:24 am  
Blogger ~Isíbéal said...

It's all good Sir P, just kidding :D We'll see you in May then :)

12:56 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home